If you have an older boiler – even though it still may be working well – much of your fuel may be going out the chimney or flue. Older boilers (especially those converted from coal to oil or gas) are often quite inefficient. However, modern boiler efficiency is at an all-time high, with newer models having efficiencies that go upwards of 90 percent Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). Homeowners who choose high AFUE-rated boilers will see significant energy savings.
AFUE Ratings for New Systems
AFUE is a government ratings system that provides a level playing field for consumers to evaluate how well a boiler uses fuel. If a boiler is rated 70 percent AFUE, the remaining 30 percent is pure waste, which, in the past, was deemed efficient. Considering that any loss is money wasted, a unit that uses only 70 percent or less energy to generate heat gives sticker-shock a whole new meaning. And while many low-efficiency boilers are still in operation today, today's minimum standard for production of new systems is 80 percent, and Energy Star-rated equipment performs even higher than that.
If, in our tight economy, you don't want the expense of a new boiler, consider retrofits options. Certain aspects of your boiler can be modified to increase your current boiler's efficiency. Often, a retrofit will save enough in increased fuel efficiency over the course of a few winters to pay for the upgrade. It is best to have your current boiler assessed to see if a retrofit would be more cost-effective than a new unit.
New boilers benefit significantly from advances in efficiency. In years past, boilers were often over-sized. Today's models are sized specifically to a home's needs, while these smaller, more compact models can reduce fuel consumption even more. Also, sealed-combustion boilers pull outside air into the exhaust system, instead of pulling indoor heated air out the flue – saving homeowners even more.
If you would like more information on increased boiler efficiency, contact the expert staff at Rodenhiser. We can explain the new AFUE ratings, inform you about retrofits or show you how to save in fuel.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about boiler efficiency and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Solutions Guide.
Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning serves the Route 495/128 area of Massachusetts. Visit our website to see our special offers to get started today!
Both Alex and Patrick were knowledgeable, courteous, and professional. They made a change that might have solved the recent problem and have structured a more complete solution. We agreed to this...
Mike was thorough, thoughtful and considerate. Covered their shoes before entering, surveyed my issue and provided an explanation of the services and costs. Great Job!
Alex did a great job providing an explanation of the services provided and went out of his way to offer assistance/advice on other issues outside of our scheduled maintenance visit.
Brian did an excellent job inspecting our 18-year old boiler and replacing some of the accessory hardware that needed it, he also adjusted the outgoing hot water settings for our radiators and...
Rodenhiser is my one stop shop!!! They take care of my HVAC, electrical, and plumbing issues & are always helpful addressing any questions I may have about the systems in my house! Everyone...
Chris G. and Nick V. showed up bright and early at 8am to fix my water heater issue. They were on time, polite and were able to fix an issue that has been plaguing my house for a good year. They...
When you are looking for plumbing, electrical, heating or air conditioning in the Route 495 / 128 area, you will be delighted that you called Massachusetts' trusted choice since 1928.
With a total dedication to professional workmanship and excellent service, discover why families and businesses continue to trust Rodenhiser after generations of service
Our teams are available around the clock 24/7. At your location FAST.
When you choose Rodenhiser your satisfaction is guaranteed—all the work will be completed to your satisfaction
Your new heating or air conditioning system will be installed on-time by our clearn, tidy, and polite technicians.
Rodenhiser can help with all of your electrical needs, from electrical panels to standby generators.
It’s the ultimate assurance of the great service you receive when you call Rodenhiser.
Avoid costly plumbing, heating, A/C and electrical problems and repairs by scheduling regular check-ups and service.